We have many activities available to be explored in the region around Ashburton. Skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, white water rafting, skydiving, jet-boating, enjoying country golf, visiting gardens, uncovering relics of aviation & transport, walking nature trails, wandering around the craft & farmers markets. There is plenty of things to do in Mid Canterbury!
Popular Ashburton activities are easily accessible from Coronation Park Holiday Park, here are a few you can check out during your stay:
Special Local Activities:
• Lake Hood - Spanning over 80 hectares, Lake Hood is the region’s foremost aquatic playground. It has a separate space for an eight-lane international rowing course, dedicated water skiing and jet skiing areas, as well as ample room for swimming, sailing and kayaking, Lake Hood draws visitors from across the region. The community also provides plenty of recreational opportunities for young families off the water as well. The popular Lake House restaurant is one of Canterbury’s best-kept secrets, offering dining indoors or outdoors near the shores of the lake. There really is something for everyone at Lake Hood.
• Trotts Garden – One of the country’s most beautiful and extensive privately-owned gardens. It has three hectares woodland areas, a formal garden, water gardens, a specialist nursery, old stables and a chapel. It is open from mid-September to mid-May from Monday to Saturday from 9 am to 4:30 pm.
• Ashburton Domain - Explore this beautiful park with plenty of walks, mature trees, a pond with ducks to feed, a bird aviary and a children's playground. Open 7 days a week. It's a great spot for a picnic.
• Ashford Village - Developed in 1986, the village has a cluster of shops around the historic Mill house. It is home to the world-famous Ashford spinning wheel and weaving looms. Visit the village to learn timeless crafts, take home an original Ashford wheel, purchase homespun jersey or fleece. Open 7 days a week and most public holidays.
Food and Wine Activities:
• CharRees Vineyard - This small family-owned boutique vineyard is just South of Ashburton featuring the area's own wine picked for optimum flavours. Their Cellar Door is open Wednesday – Sunday from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm.
• Ashburton Farmers Market - If you're visiting over summer, don't miss out on our fresh, quality food market direct from the producers. It is held fortnightly on a Saturday from 9am until noon. This is located in the centre of Ashburton on State Highway 1, at the West Street car park.
Art, Cultural & Historical Activities:
• Ashburton Museum - Our local museum features a range of exhibits with themes updated regularly. Extensive records are available to researchers including genealogical, photographic and local history information. It is open from Tuesday to Friday from 10 am to 4 pm and on weekends from 1 pm to 4 pm.
• Ashburton Art Gallery - This regional public art gallery which is a source of pride to the Ashburton Community. The gallery presents a varied, thought-provoking and innovative programme of local, national and internationally sourced exhibitions. Admission is free. It is open 7 days a week from 10 am to 4 pm with Wednesday nights open late until 7 pm.
• The Plains Vintage Railway & Historical Museum - Home to a vintage railway, it has 3 operational steam locomotives and a vast array of vintage machinery on display. It also features recreated Pioneer village. This is open for viewing year-round and is a great place for a picnic. The museum is just off Highway 1 on Tinwald.
• Ashburton Aviation Museum - It has over 20 aircraft on display, a research library and souvenirs on sale. It tells of the important role the airfield played in training 1192 pilots to serve our country and its allies during World War II. Open every day 1 pm – 3 pm. The museum opens early on Saturday and Wednesday from 10 am. It is located at Ashburton Airport.
• Ashburton Harness Racing Museum - This museum features a large display of memorabilia and historic information about racing in the area including photographs, newspaper clippings and trainers/owners racing colours. The museum is open most Tuesdays and on race days. It is located in the kiosk building on Racecourse Road.
Sports and Activities:
• Sky Diving Kiwis - Your mind-blowing tandem skydiving experience awaits you. Located right in Ashburton, this is the #1 spot to get that adrenaline high in the heart of Canterbury's majestic scenery.
• Ashburton Aquatic Centre - This EA Networks Centre has four indoor heated pools, a hydrotherapy pool, toddlers pool, steam room and spa, lockers, modern change rooms and swimwear spinners.
There really is so much to see and do in mid-Canterbury.